Here’s a dress I made ages ago, in the summer of 2011, I think. What a long time ago! I had originally bought this fabric for a jacket lining, but around May that year, my priorities shifted. I had been invited to a Woodstock festival themed summer party, and I didn’t have anything to wear. This print seemed to fit the bill, even if the fabric was a bit too stiff for the style of the dress. Actually, I love the print on the fabric with all my heart. Unfortunately, though, the weight of it is more suited to upholstery than to dressmaking.
Do you like my hula skills?
I drafted this pattern myself, and it was pretty easy to make up. I took my inspiration from this dress, which I had seen on Burda about a million years ago. I couldn’t find a pattern, although I didn’t look very hard. There was a bit of discussion on the Burda forums about the dress, and no one there had found a pattern either. I think it might be the first pattern I ever drafted from scratch, and I managed to get it right with only one trial-make of the straps. Then I whipped out my fashion fabric and started cutting!
The construction is pretty simple, and I didn’t do any fitting at all. This dress is literally just a tent gathered onto a couple of straps. The straps were the biggest construction challenge, because of the cross over in the front. I really would like to see how a bought pattern would construct the crossover, because my way felt extremely clumsy. The dress pulls on and off over my head, so I didn’t add a closure, although maybe it would have benefited from a little zip under the arm.
I didn’t finish any of the seams because, as I recall, this was a very last-minute project. I only intended to wear it once for this party, and because the fabric I chose was not appropriate for the shape of the dress, I will never wear it again.
Recently, I was looking on the Map the Sewists map, created by Another Sewing Scientist, and came across a couple of other sewing bloggers in my area. To my surprise, I came across a project by Elena at Tea for Two which used the same fabric. I think she put the fabric to much better use than I did. However, I kept my dress, thinking I might harvest the fabric for another project. There’s always that jacket lining from my original plan…