Woodstock dress

Here’s a dress I made ages ago, in the summer of 2011, I think.  What a long time ago!  I had originally bought this fabric for a jacket lining, but around May that year, my priorities shifted.  I had been invited to a Woodstock festival themed summer party, and I didn’t have anything to wear.  This print seemed to fit the bill, even if the fabric was a bit too stiff for the style of the dress.  Actually, I love the print on the fabric with all my heart.  Unfortunately, though, the weight of it is more suited to upholstery than to dressmaking.

Image

Do you like my hula skills?

I drafted this pattern myself, and it was pretty easy to make up.  I took my inspiration from this dress, which I had seen on Burda about a million years ago.  I couldn’t find a pattern, although I didn’t look very hard.  There was a bit of discussion on the Burda forums about the dress, and no one there had found a pattern either.  I think it might be the first pattern I ever drafted from scratch, and I managed to get it right with only one trial-make of the straps.  Then I whipped out my fashion fabric and started cutting!

The construction is pretty simple, and I didn’t do any fitting at all.  This dress is literally just a tent gathered onto a couple of straps.  The straps were the biggest construction challenge, because of the cross over in the front.  I really would like to see how a bought pattern would construct the crossover, because my way felt extremely clumsy.  The dress pulls on and off over my head, so I didn’t add a closure, although maybe it would have benefited from a little zip under the arm.

I didn’t finish any of the seams because, as I recall, this was a very last-minute project.  I only intended to wear it once for this party, and because the fabric I chose was not appropriate for the shape of the dress, I will never wear it again.

Recently, I was looking on the Map the Sewists map, created by Another Sewing Scientist, and came across a couple of other sewing bloggers in my area.  To my surprise, I came across a project by Elena at Tea for Two which used the same fabric.  I think she put the fabric to much better use than I did.  However, I kept my dress, thinking I might harvest the fabric for another project.  There’s always that jacket lining from my original plan…